Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 04 in to get the cam sensor seal replaced, and they also did an upgrade to the obd(on board diagnostic). does anyone know details about the upgrade, and what the obd does specifically? :)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
its the ecu update. It keeps it from throwing lean codes from air filter problems. As well at the same time the update the fuel curves and ignition timing.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

cool. I thought it was the ecu update, but they told me it was for diagnostics only and wouldn't affect driving :/. Then I noticed that it seemed to have less power at 3000rpm.

I would be in debt to you if you could explain in more detail the lean code problem and what the update to the fuel curve did?

Does it allow less fuel through close to 3000 than compared to the older version or what? Why?:( Or does it make the power curve more gradual up to 3000 therefore I just dont sense the big difference anymore?

Sorry for the hassle but I would appreciate your time :) I've seen older threads about this but couldn't make enough sense out of the fragmentation because I'm newbie.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
OK first off OBD = On Board Diagnostics. I took mine in today (ECU, cam sensor, and oil change in 1 her 35 minutes), the tech I talked with said the upgarde is mainly for the saturn techs. However there is code in there that effects how the computer reads the data coming from the O2 sensor. That is all he could tell me. The document was very vauge.

We kinda brainstormed on it and came up with that the O2 sensor readings were making the mixture run either too lean or too rich. And that this corrected this. It may be that the reason you are getting a different pwer curve is that the new code is effecting for the air fuel mixture is entering the chamber at certain rpm's. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the power curve is smoothed out for one. It feels stonger all over the power band. From 1000 rpms to the redline. As well the lean code some were getting come from a bad signal reading that was set in the ecu. Rare to get from the computer but circumstances make it possible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The ecu reflash that you are referring to was to "enhance O2 sensor response" Not allowed to print bulletins on here or it would be up.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So basically no one knows what changes to the software were done.. me being a software guy I need to know these kind of things or else I cant sleep at night since I spent lots of money :(

partsspec wanna hang out sometime? me buy dah beer ;o. aim=pookiehonig

I 'm considering being a bitch and asking saturn customer support direcly, we should be allowed to see 'changelogs' methinks

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
FYI the latest batch of calibration releases (including the gravy-train "2005 Inventory Upgrade" :D ) DOES NOT affect the LSJ Redline
AFAIK the last Redline release was the cold drivabilty correction issued way back on Jan 13...

Partsspec said:
The ecu reflash that you are referring to was to "enhance O2 sensor response" Not allowed to print bulletins on here or it would be up.
I couldnt find anything related to any recent recalibration for O2 sensor response in Bulletins or PIs... was this SPS via TIS2WEB by chance? (heard some retailers were piloting the application) :confused:
Right now we only use it for TECH2 updating.

Regards
WopOnTour

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
All of you guys do know that there have been 2 updates now right? One was for the cold driving/extended crank, and now there is a new one. That is the one that people are describing as the OBD update. Just making sure...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Partsspec said:
No I saw this on a "Fix it right the First time" or an overview of recent bulletins.
Oh OK my bad-FYI that bulletin is for 04 R/L models only (My mistake-I was looking under 2005 LSJ in eSI)
Sp00ner said:
All of you guys do know that there have been 2 updates now right? One was for the cold driving/extended crank, and now there is a new one. That is the one that people are describing as the OBD update. Just making sure...
Well technically that would depend if you are talking O4 or an O5 :D Anyone using terms like "version 3.0" doesnt know what they are talking about - those terms are not used by any GM software application such as TIS (SPS) used to reflash the ECM.
HTH
WopOnTour

1 - 12 of 12 Posts