Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kinda gas yall use in your RL. As for me I use Regular. Is there any benifit in using premium or super gas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use 91 Octane, I know some other states like Flordia have higher, but in Arizona 91 is the highest we have...at the pump

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I put 93 octane in here. 87 is reg. 89 is plus, and 93 is premium. There's a chain around here that also sells 94 octane but there's none around my town. Next town up though there's 2 of them within viewing distance.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
been using 93, thought about using 91. Anyone see any difference?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
BoKaThUg1 said:
I was wondering what kinda gas yall use in your RL. As for me I use Regular. Is there any benifit in using premium or super gas?
i use supreme only, if you use regular listen for any engine knocking or you could damage it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nothing but premimum should be run in forced induction cars. Fuel of a lower quality burns faster and not a completly as the higher octanes, resulting in pinging. This is like an earth quake in an enging, with the shock waves eventually eating into the pistons and valves. This can (and will after long periods) cause permenant damage.......There is a place in Boulder that sells 103 at the pump, but last time I bought it, it cost me 2.15 a gallon, this was when premium was around 1.65 a gallon......

B

·
0 Posts
Sunoco Ultra 94 here, too. I have a Sunoco Gas Card. :D

Well, I used it when I actually had my car.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
93 all the time. Ran 100 once they guy at the shop lemme have it so I took it. Felt a small differnce but it may have been in my head.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I run 93 all the time. My sport bikes all had 93 running through them. As a group, the riders I rode with, we would go and buy a drum of racing gas, something like 104 octane is the rating on it. We would use that on track days and such. It made a noticeable difference in the bikes, but I don't know about the car...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If you run the car in a racing environment, the added octane will only help if A) The car is built and programmed to take advantage of the high-octane fuel, in otherwords, if it can adjust the timing to take advantage of 103 octane racing fuel, or if it's computer will not adjust it beyond a certain point. If the computer will only adjust the timing to performance levels that are covered by using 91 octane, then it don't matter how high above 91 you go.
B) If you're car is running in a hard, hot environment, like a road course or drag strip, and you are experiencing knock and other related issues. Some cars are better than others at dealing with track conditions, and some will benefit from higher octane fuel in these situations.

Car and driver did an whole test section in which they took cars that required various levels of octane, 87, 89, 91, 93, and ran them on a dyno with various levels of octane in the gas. One of the BMW's in particular, actually put out less horsepower with 93 octane than with 89 octane. Don't quite remember what it was. None of the other cars did this, nor did any of the cars that call for lower octane fuel generate more horsepower on higher than recommeded octane levels. The cars that required 91 or 93, did lose horsepower, a great deal in some cases, by running fuel that was below the octane level recomended.

Bottom line, read the manual. It says 91 or better octane required.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
189 Posts
What about fuel economy? I constantly run either Sheel V-power 93 or marathon 93 but sometimes I run Gas of America 92 and there seems to be a little bit of loss in fuel economy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i run 91, but up here in buffalo, new york *worst city ever* it is about $2.17/gallon damn taxes

·
Registered
754 Posts
Shell v power 93 octane....but my salesman said it would run fine on 87 okay he was not too smart.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
yianco465 said:
What about fuel economy? I constantly run either Sheel V-power 93 or marathon 93 but sometimes I run Gas of America 92 and there seems to be a little bit of loss in fuel economy.
Dunno about that exactly, not sure what that would do to the fuel economy. I would think that if you're car is running a little underpowered, then you would be pushing the foot down a little harder to make up for it. You would be using the same amount of gas to get less power if you're running too low of an octane though, so maybe that actually would cost you gas mileage... hmmm... now I'm wondering... cause there are days that I look at the gas mileage that I'm getting and think, wow thats low... there are also days that I fill up with 91 instead of 93 due to where I stop for gas.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
762 Posts
I only use 94 Ocatane, I heard of a 94 station around me but haven't seen it. I pay only 1.80 a gallon for it :).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts