Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am highly considering buying a RL within a couple of weeks. I talked to the sales manager at the dealership and he says that the car runs on 87 octane gas. I have a Grand Prix GTP ( 3.8 liter with a supercharger). i was told that because of the Supercharger that I need to only put in 93 octane gas. It was explained that the high temperature of the forced air can cause knock retard in the engine. Maybe because the RL is intercooled that it can run 87 octane. If it is only a power issue then that is no big deal, I will just put in 93 when i can. I just want to know if I can get by with 87 with out doing any engine damage. I need a car that is far cheaper to run thatn the GTP. Also i live in NC, near water level (if that helps). Thanks in advance.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yes, you CAN run 87, it even says so in the manual, but you should be able to do the same thing in you GTP, it's just gonna lose some of power. As it's been explained to me, you don't need to run 93 with forced induction, it's just that most applications are designed to get maximum power with 93. The manual suggests 91+, but also says that you can run 87.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I've also been told that the computer takes time to adjust back and forth. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but it makes sense. So switching back and forth might not be the best thing in the world either. I've run 89, and can tell a difference from the 93 octane. I didn't like it...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just remember if you are running 87 octane and here any engine knocking or pinging put supreme in asap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I am actually trying to find out if there is anyone out there that is running low octane gas regularly, and are you having any problems. I already know this will be a fun car, I am trying to see if this will be an inexpensive car too. thanks for all the information guys. I am really hoping I can get this car.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
DO I hear 95, 95 octane gasoline, yes, so I hear 96, 96 going once, yes #36, do I hear 97, 97 going once, twice, SOLD! 96 octane gasoline to #36!!

My injectors are faster than yours.

No but seriously the car should have a knock sensor that will auto-retard the ignition, so you don't cause damage. The manuf knows you can't guarantee to never put in any less than 93, or to never get bad gas.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I run only the best I can get in my area. The car will compensate for the lower octane by retarding the spark reducing top end power.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I try to put in 91 octane (highest in my city) but I generally run on 89 and have not had a single problem, no knocking, nothing. I was surprised by the way the car has been performing with a lesser octane, yes there is a noticable loss in power (but really, unless your paul walker in fast and the furious, less power in a s/c car on city streets isn't all that of a bad thing if you know what I mean) but I have had no other effects. Now I am not saying there won't be effects if I continue to run 89, its just that with university and such, funds arn't always availble for gas that is 5 cents more a litre (97.5 for 91 octane now..its a 50 litre tank for those of you who don't know the gallon to litre rate change). I'd still suggest using 91+ though.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ya, we still have cheap gas here... its back to $2.33 for premium here... Wow, almost a buck a L, that's almost $4 a gallon.... more like $3.50 or so...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys!

I think I have the information I need. It sounds like a fun and inexpensive car to drive daily. All I have to do now is find one that i want for cheap. Thanks again everyone!

Ginsui.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like I said before 93 all day baby!:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts