Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about what other current redline owners considered/test drove before buying their redlines, and the reasons why you didn't go with the other cars. Each one has lots of great aspects, but I only list what my hangups were. Here is my list:
SRT-4
Didn't like the handling. Horrible daily driver (loud, harsh) Bad crash test results. Wife hated the looks.
RSX Type S
More money. Worthless backseat and my brothers' heads hit the glass in it.
Mazda 3 2.3
Not that fast really.
Mini Cooper S
Probably the most unreliable car on the road. No trunk.
Subaru WRX
Ouch on the insurance.
Sentra SE-R Spec V
Wife didn't like the looks. Not really that fast, and the shifter sucked.
Corolla XRS
Engine too peaky. Lame 16 inch wheels with weak rubber. Didn't hold well in the corners comparatively.

·
I
7,838 Posts
Mitsubishi evo VIII - Loved the car, but too expensive for what it was. Dealer wouldn't haggle.
SRT-4 - still had the typical neon styling, not for me.
Nissan SPEC-V - was going to get it to piss off ex-wife, but i didn't like the interior.
05 Mustang GT - Insurance was a little too pricey.

·
Registered
810 Posts
05 Civic SI - Wasnt to hyped on the styling, and it wasnt that quick
05 Tiburon- to much money for a hyundai

·
Registered
767 Posts
05 PT Cruiser Turbo - Could get it cheap because I work for Chrysler, but the handling is horrible.
04 SRT4 - dealership wouldnt take price below $22K.
03 Spec V - Body styleing is too bland.
03 SVT Focus - Fun car, but not enough power for the money.
91 GT Mustang 5.0 - Too unreliable.
03 WRX - Way too common around here, you are just another one of the pack.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also need to add the following to my list:

04 Honda Civic Si
This is a weak attempt by honda at this segment. Not fast, and doesn't handle that well. And 20k for that with no incentives?
04 Ford Focus SVT
This and the srt-4 was probably the closest competitor. The svt handles better than any other car I have ever driven. And that first gear--like 45 mph in 1st gear. But not enough power. If it had been as cheap as the redline, I probably would have gone with it than put on an aftermarket supercharger.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i had a deposit on the scion xB, but it's just to damn slow and the performance mods for it bright it to a whopping 150-165hp, screw that. My woman has a 2005 TC and loves it, we are just waiting on the supercharger for it through TRD. later Jay

·
Registered
532 Posts
Scion TC - not all the fast, I thought the brakes were bad but maybe it was just the one I drove, waiting list

Chevrolet Colorado Z71 - too rough and shaky for everyday driving

Pontiac Grand Prix - kinda cool but not really, slow

SRT4 - would've been interested if it didn't look like a neon

Ion Quad Coupe 3 - kinda dorky, butt ugly wheels, why get one when you can get a redline

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have always owned GM cars, and i have to say the TC brakes are the exact brakes of the Lexus IS 300 which my soon to be father in law just got rid of (lease up) Moter trend and the others tested them and they found the brakes to be better than Porsche!!! It had to be a fluke!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xtremelumina92 said:
i have always owned GM cars, and i have to say the TC brakes are the exact brakes of the Lexus IS 300 which my soon to be father in law just got rid of (lease up) Moter trend and the others tested them and they found the brakes to be better than Porsche!!! It had to be a fluke!
The ion redline brakes are pretty much the best you will find on the road.

·
Registered
134 Posts
shaneathan said:
The ion redline brakes are pretty much the best you will find on the road.
NOt saying that isn't true, but GM brakes usually suck. Take a look at my avitar, it has the first gen rear disks and they suck my left nut! i go through at least one set or rear calipers each year due to them siezing and thats not just me, thast many of us on the w-body forums. I even went with high performance pads and drilled rotors and it still stops like a gray hound.
I test drove the RL twice now and i was so impressed with the power i forgot to even turn the radio on and i don't remember the feel of the brakes! Later Jay

·
Registered
196 Posts
I drove a GTO and a SRT-4....I really like the interior of the GTO but wasnt too crazy about the exterior....the power in it was crazy and liked the idea of the 6 speed

I wasnt crazy about the SRT-4.....besides the power that it had to go in a straight line, it really had nothing else going for it......the seats were pretty comfortable but with me being tall I had to reach pretty far to shift

so it was back to the Saturn dealership for me......I really wasnt ready to part with the $600 a month for the GTO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought about an evo...the trans seemed to weak for me and I hate terrible a trans.
The STI was a bit hard to find, especially for a decent price (when I bought my car)
Considered another turbo mr2, but wasn't willing to give it a tune up before I drove across the states
Never thought about the redline, the center console is just to much for me to handle
Ended up getting a killer deal on an srt (20.5k for a 2004 w/ sunroof and viper seats).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dark-SRT4 said:
Thought about an evo...the trans seemed to weak for me and I hate terrible a trans.
The STI was a bit hard to find, especially for a decent price (when I bought my car)
Considered another turbo mr2, but wasn't willing to give it a tune up before I drove across the states
Never thought about the redline, the center console is just to much for me to handle
Ended up getting a killer deal on an srt (20.5k for a 2004 w/ sunroof and viper seats).
I thought they all have viper seats. Or viperesque seats at least. Everyone that I looked at/drove did.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dream car was a 93-98 supra, but the only ones in decent condition still run for 30-50k. Its all cuz of that damn movie... :mad:

For seriously buying a car though, it was pretty much gonna be a 1.8t jetta or gti. I liked that those cars had so many features, like heated leather seats, etc. At the same time I was looking at those, my bf, a huge saturn fan, convinced me to test drive the RL. I thought it was ugly at first in pictures, but in person it looked pretty good. I was amazed at how much more power it had then any other car I test drove and was able to afford. But I was still in the process of fixing on my credit and didnt think I'd be approved for a brand new car. A couple months later, I raised my score over 100 points, and the first day we heard the the rebates going on for the Ion's now applied to the Redlines as well, I went to the dealership for another test drive. I didnt even plan on buying one that day... went over there late, around 5pm, they ran my credit and I was approved :D First car completely under my own name. I dont regret buying this car at all.

I never really liked the srt-4 cuz my grandma had a neon.. just didnt seem like it fit me.

Liked the wrx but too much $$.

·
Registered
810 Posts
xtremelumina92 said:
NOt saying that isn't true, but GM brakes usually suck. Take a look at my avitar, it has the first gen rear disks and they suck my left nut! i go through at least one set or rear calipers each year due to them siezing and thats not just me, thast many of us on the w-body forums. I even went with high performance pads and drilled rotors and it still stops like a gray hound.
I test drove the RL twice now and i was so impressed with the power i forgot to even turn the radio on and i don't remember the feel of the brakes! Later Jay

it is very true. i forget where i read it, but the RL stopped 1 foot faster than the Lamborghini Gallardo. i found that quite exciting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GaRsNoW said:
it is very true. i forget where i read it, but the RL stopped 1 foot faster than the Lamborghini Gallardo. i found that quite exciting.
yes. I wasn't pulling that out of my you know what. I follow much closer than I ever would because I know this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scion TC
I was on the waiting list for a white one and the supercharger kept getting pushed back
SRT-4
Dealer wanted like $26,000 for one
Sentra SE-R Spec V
Couldn't find one without a sunroof
2003 Acura RSX Type S
Got the redline instead was going to go to acura if Redline deal fell through
Mustang GT
can't stand the way it shifts and drives

·
Registered
532 Posts
xtremelumina92 said:
Trust me, it had to have been a fluke...it felt like it wasn't going to stop at times

BTW, the redline has the best brakes of any car I have ever driven, and according to Car and Driver Road Digest, the 70-0 braking distance is only one foot farther than a Lamborghini Gallardo...must be pretty good brakes!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dark-SRT4 said:
...Ended up getting a killer deal on an srt (20.5k for a 2004 w/ sunroof and viper seats).
That is a fantastic picture!! (Although, the thread is about what other cars you were considering before buying a Redline, but it's not like I've never hijacked a thread before either :D )

Before I heard about the Redline coming out a year earlier, I was all set on getting an Infiniti G35 Sports Coupe.

I always wanted to stay with Saturn, but as I quickly approached 40, I felt I needed to upgrade into a classier car and Saturn didn't have any product to fullfill that requirement.

Thank God I heard about the Redline just in time. I had to wait another 9 months for a new car, but I probably saved about $15,000.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts