Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm trying to install my gauges. What power source do i use? I'm friggin clueless..

I know how to install my boost gauge..
I have a oil pressure gauge? how the hell do i install this thing? where do I tap into to? OMG some one help me..

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, what kind of wire do I need to extend the positive and negative for the power source to the light? I know this is lame and these are lame questions..flame me later tell me answer now!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, how and where do i ground the negative wire from the gauges..

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
you can get power from a few places. You can pull right out of the fuse box with a tap device. Its right by your gas pedal. There is a ton of places to ground back there as well. If you want to get real fancy tap the gauge cluster wire for the dimmer action so they are only on at night and you can turn em down a bit.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
goofyguy said:
you can get power from a few places. You can pull right out of the fuse box with a tap device. Its right by your gas pedal. There is a ton of places to ground back there as well. If you want to get real fancy tap the gauge cluster wire for the dimmer action so they are only on at night and you can turn em down a bit.
I have mine set up to dim like goofy said. I hooked the power to the grey wire on the hazzard button. You can ground them anywhere, just find a screw that is into metal. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, i'm confused. Tap device? Ground it into a screw? What? I know I'm suppose to ground it to something metal but how? What kind of wire do I buy to extend the power cables? I'm confused..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
dL_RL said:
okay, i'm confused. Tap device? Ground it into a screw? What? I know I'm suppose to ground it to something metal but how? What kind of wire do I buy to extend the power cables? I'm confused..
Ok, I had some wire at my house that I used. If you dont I would just run over to your local hardware store and show them the wire on the gauge. They can point you in the right dirrection and show you what to buy. When I hooked it to the grey wire I stripped some of the insulation off and wrapped the gauge power wire around it and taped it up.

As for the ground you need to find a screw that goes into metal on the car. Take the screw out half way, wrap the gauge ground wire around it, and tighten the screw. Pretty simple stuff. If you are putting a pillar pod up you can probably ground it to that screw on the pillar.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, i get it. How about the oil pressure gauge? Where do I tap the oil pressure gauge wire into?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
ok for mine i took all the power wires and ran a single copper wire to the grey hazard wire. i didnt even have to strip the grey wire just slip it in. :) then all the ground wires i took and put them all together and then hooked a single wire to them and hooked that copper wire to a screw that holds the plastic to the stearing colum. yes it goes into metal. just put the wire under the plastic so it touches the metal and rap it around the screw. its really easy and with the hot wire connected to the hazzard plug it can dim with all the other lights. need a drawing ya know i can make a quickie.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
good luck on that one yell for wop he'll know. :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
dL_RL said:
Hey, i'm trying to install my gauges. What power source do i use? I'm friggin clueless..

I know how to install my boost gauge..
I have a oil pressure gauge? how the hell do i install this thing? where do I tap into to? OMG some one help me..
You can take the ground to any screw that goes to the chassis or you can take it from the Black and White wire at the back of the Hazzard switch ( circuit #151) Dimmer you can take from Gray wire same location (circuit #8)
and RADIO ACC Yellow (circuit #343) you can get this by piggybacking the fuse or going to the back of the BCM and splice C2-30 ( access from panel,Right side, bottom, center console) MAKE DAMN SURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Mark

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i used the yellow wire behind my head unit

it shuts off with the car and i didnt have to do a ghetto fuse tap, i wont do that in my car.

(tuck in a wire with a fuse)

some had great luck with it, but thats not my kind of work

keith-

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i cant find anyplace to run the wires from the interior to the engine bay damnit!!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
look under the hood to the left and down a bit and ull see the rubber graumet. get in the car and look under the dash and move the fire protectan to the side and reach way up and back and u'll feel a loum of wires comeing thru .......... go thru there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
power for the gauges, use the hazard light switch (grey wire) and ground to any metal.

thanks to wopontour for helping me on this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts