Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Wheel Hop

5K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  goofyguy 
#1 ·
Who would like to get rid of it. Who would buy a full bolt on kit you only had to drill one hole to make it fit on your car. Im trying to make an intrest thread here for all to see. I have all the parts just waiting once again for time to be on my side to install and create. If I told you 200 bucks and your wheel hop days are gone who would like to buy near summer time?

#3 ·
The big question is. What exactly is this kit. Is it similar to PSI-FIs traction kit for the SRT-4 or something totally different.

Because, I figure that Motormounts, Full Poly Bushings in the suspension, and LSD will eliminate most of that.

#4 ·
Yeah, we would need more details on the parts, and how intrusive this is going to be. Aslo how labor intensive. And will it void any warrenties? Are you garaunteeing these "parts". Details my man, Details. I am interested but I want specifics.

#8 ·
its does not change any stock parts at all in fact all the stock parts are good. The motormounts and so on are not changed at all. It installs in less than 5 minutes including the time to drill the one required hole.. Its just like adding a hop shock. The key is making the bracket the correct length and the proper suspension part.

#10 ·
I can't imagine that there are going to be warranty concerns! Isn't it worse to have the wheels skipping down the asphalt like scratched cd, than to stiffen everything up?

Goofy, are you talking about something similar to what I see in some places for Hondas and Integras, something that functions similar to traction bars on a RWD car? Preloading the front end? Along those lines?

#14 ·
rip_vw32 said:
Alright already!!!! What the hell is it??!!!??
yeah, it'd be nice to know what i'm interested in. is it a strut tower brace that mounts in a third point? i hope not, unless it mounts to the block, and in that case, i don't want to have to drill holes in my block.

other than that, i'm still up for it!

#15 ·
its used for many years on trucks called a 3rd shock or a hop shock. Basicly it goes from the motor mount to the frame. Its not going to change the suspension at all and like I said 10mins to install tops. its a small absorber that stops the engine from moving back and forth quickly which is what wheel hop comes from. I have a guy making the brackets and I will soon have all the parts to install. Like I said Im real busy so itll be a while but you all will like it.

#16 ·
goofyguy said:
its used for many years on trucks called a 3rd shock or a hop shock. Basicly it goes from the motor mount to the frame. Its not going to change the suspension at all and like I said 10mins to install tops. its a small absorber that stops the engine from moving back and forth quickly which is what wheel hop comes from. I have a guy making the brackets and I will soon have all the parts to install. Like I said Im real busy so itll be a while but you all will like it.
sounds good to me, less wear on the mounts is always a good thing, then i'll never have to change out the motor mounts anyways (although it's always an option once someone has some!)

#17 ·
totally interested, i hate wheel hop with a passion.

#19 ·
I will have it ready by summer I promise. The big downside is they will made to order so I cant ship when you want me to. I have to have warning first. I wont accept payments till Im ready to ship your product though.

#21 ·
I don't know if it would be of any help, but I changed the tires on my SRT to a wider size, and it helped immensely. We have the same problem with bad wheel hop. I don't know what the factory size is for the RL, but ours are 205/50s and I went to a 225/45 (which was a tight squeeze on a 6.5" rim), and I noticed a HUGE difference, which also made it easier to launch. I know they make motor mounts and things for our cars now that help, too. Hopefully they'll come out with better mounts and such here soon to help you guys out, if they haven't already.

#22 ·
robbie8302 said:
I don't know if it would be of any help, but I changed the tires on my SRT to a wider size, and it helped immensely. We have the same problem with bad wheel hop. I don't know what the factory size is for the RL, but ours are 205/50s and I went to a 225/45 (which was a tight squeeze on a 6.5" rim), and I noticed a HUGE difference, which also made it easier to launch. I know they make motor mounts and things for our cars now that help, too. Hopefully they'll come out with better mounts and such here soon to help you guys out, if they haven't already.
We have 215/45/ZR17 tires. Our Rims are 17x8.

I agree, Motor Mounts will be a great improvement to help stop wheel-hop.

#25 ·
robbie8302 said:
I don't know if a wider tire would make much more of a difference for you guys or not then.
Probably make more of a difference by getting a 'better' tire, not just a wider one. What brand did you go with for the SRT? Does yours have the LSD, newer one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.