Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Wheel Hop

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Sp00ner 
#1 ·
I started to take off and there was a bit of snow on the ground so it spun like normal for a little bit... afterwards, once on dry pavement my wheels hopped pretty bad... something sounded different so I just ignored it then I went back to driving like normal. Shortly after I went to pass another car and down shifted from 4th to 3rd gear and nailed it like normal and now it seems like it KICKS alot harder then before...

#2 ·
could you have a torn mount already?

#4 ·
macncheese said:
easily could have. get under that hood and kick the thottle open. no easy revving it up, goose it. see how much the motor moves. then take a close look at your mounts.
tony
I did this but didnt rev it too much, I will rev it wide open tomarrow morning. If I did tear my mount do you think the dealer would cover it?

#5 ·
Nope. you can try but Im gonna bet no.

#7 ·
macncheese said:
i'll second that. at least the mount shouldn't be expensive. most costly i've ever personally seen was my assistant manager's honda accord. $43!!!!! mine are like $15 each and 5-20 minutes to swap depending on which one.
tony
Oh... so I am probably not looking at a very large fee for getting it fixed? Thanks for all the help guys!

#8 ·
tlake84 said:
Oh... so I am probably not looking at a very large fee for getting it fixed? Thanks for all the help guys!

you could try to explain to the dealer that there is some Jerking taking place. I noticed before I got the latest ECM update that I was experiencing the jerkiness that I felt attributed to wheel hop. Car drives so much smoother now. See if you can get them to believe that the jerkiness is what caused premature wear on your mounts, just a suggestion. Good luck

#9 ·
tlake84 said:
easily could have. get under that hood and kick the thottle open. no easy revving it up, goose it. see how much the motor moves. then take a close look at your mounts.
tony
I did this but didnt rev it too much, I will rev it wide open tomarrow morning. If I did tear my mount do you think the dealer would cover it?
:confused:

I'm curious how you did this with no throttle cable?

#15 ·
The fact that women get jealous of material objects has always been a mystery to me.

When I had my '79 Trans Am, I would be out in the garage working on it and my wife would get mad and say I spent too much time out there.

My response: "Hey, I could be spending my time out and about at bars and stuff like a lot of other husbands. At least you KNOW where I'm at and what I'm doing if I'm in the garage working on my car."

#16 ·
Right, I'm not down at the topless bar, putting singles into a stripper's thong, spending the bill money on overpriced drinks - I'm there in the garage, drinking a Diet Coke or a beer, close enough so you can yell at me if you need...

#17 ·
Jim Lewis said:
I'm there in the garage, drinking a Diet Coke or a beer, close enough so you can yell at me if you need...
That's me too. Her issue is she tells me she dose not like fast cars or to drive fast but I believe she just dosen't like to not be in control when I drive fast. I just laugh because she drives the SHO on a daily basis and it sounds like I'm in the pits at daytona when she leaves for work in the morning :eek: . I love the way that car sounds :D .

#18 ·
JPK said:
The fact that women get jealous of material objects has always been a mystery to me.

When I had my '79 Trans Am, I would be out in the garage working on it and my wife would get mad and say I spent too much time out there.

My response: "Hey, I could be spending my time out and about at bars and stuff like a lot of other husbands. At least you KNOW where I'm at and what I'm doing if I'm in the garage working on my car."

Another response (might land you in the dog house though) could be, "the car doesn't get mad when I get in another car, when I want the car to be turned on I don't have to beg and use my tongue, when there's something wrong with the car it atleast provides me with a check engine light, and finally, the car doesn't get bloated and hostile once a month"........ok now for a list of lawyers in your area..........

#19 ·
TXRLU said:
Another response (might land you in the dog house though) could be, "the car doesn't get mad when I get in another car, when I want the car to be turned on I don't have to beg and use my tongue, when there's something wrong with the car it atleast provides me with a check engine light, and finally, the car doesn't get bloated and hostile once a month"........ok now for a list of lawyers in your area..........
that's good, remind me why i'm getting married again

#20 ·
TXRLU said:

I decided against that approach. My wife is a petite woman but she can hit pretty hard. :D

#21 ·
tlake84 said:
I started to take off and there was a bit of snow on the ground so it spun like normal for a little bit... afterwards, once on dry pavement my wheels hopped pretty bad... something sounded different so I just ignored it then I went back to driving like normal. Shortly after I went to pass another car and down shifted from 4th to 3rd gear and nailed it like normal and now it seems like it KICKS alot harder then before...
Just wondered if anyone else noticed this. When powershifting to 2nd gear in colder temps, I've had severe wheel hop. While this is going on you can feel what seems to be the motor mounts bottoming out and 3 or for hard clunks til wheels get traction. We checked mounts. They appear ok. Let clutch out with E- brake on and couldn't see much movement at all.

#23 ·
It was one of the mounts... they are going to cover it too. Bad thing is though they told me that my front two tires are just about bald... and they had to over-night the mount. I did get a VUE loaner... green and runs like... well you know... its not a redline. I can't wait to get my car back!

#24 ·
bald, baaaaahhh. i'm sure you already knew that. i always keep track of my tires. i took my dodge in to my local tire kingdom to have a rear tire patched, and they told me my front tires were almost bald. of course i replied (and y'all can use this if you like),"they aren't bald, sir...they're worn to 'racing depth.' "
ahhhh, i love it.
tony

#25 ·
t8sgolf said:
Just wondered if anyone else noticed this. When powershifting to 2nd gear in colder temps, I've had severe wheel hop. While this is going on you can feel what seems to be the motor mounts bottoming out and 3 or for hard clunks til wheels get traction. We checked mounts. They appear ok. Let clutch out with E- brake on and couldn't see much movement at all.
When it's cold outside I get the tires to rip completey loose going into second. Sometimes it hops if they don't come all the way loose, but seems to be only when it's 20 degrees or colder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.