Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just recently got an 05' ion redline and have been having a blast. I had no idea these existed!

The previous owner installed zzp's stage 2 kit and the k&n cold air intake, and claimed the car made about 290 to the wheels. After reading posts from you fine folks and zzp's own website, I think that number is closer to 240 - which is still a lot of fun, but I've never been one to leave well enough alone.

Before I go for more power, I want to make sure I don't break anything. First up will be a dual pass endplate, heat exchanger and a shorty header. I pretty much plan to go down the zzp buffet line from there with a cam, valve springs, balance shafts and ati dampener.

My goal here is to make right around 300hp or a little more without putting anything at risk, but I'm curious how much this will affect overall comfort and drivability? The car is my daily and I plan to keep using it as such. I'm also concerned how the clutch and transmission will take these upgrades. Has anyone here done similar modifications to their daily redline?

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Welcome!

Shorty header isn't necessary. Stock manifold is already port match. The real choker is the down pipe and the part of the cat back in the over axle bend.

I was around 280 in mine with 60lb injectors, option b, dual pass, ported blower, ls4 tb, 2.7 pulley, and full exhaust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

Shorty header isn't necessary. Stock manifold is already port match. The real choker is the down pipe and the part of the cat back in the over axle bend.

I was around 280 in mine with 60lb injectors, option b, dual pass, ported blower, ls4 tb, 2.7 pulley, and full exhaust
Huh, maybe my hp is closer to what the previous owner claimed then. I'd considered the ls4 tb as well but heard that the throttle gets very sensitive with that, how has it treated you?

And just out of curiosity, was twincharging these cars an abandoned idea? Wouldn't be something I'd do anytime soon but the idea is appealing to me. I know going full turbo nets more hp but I'd prefer to increase the area under my power curve rather than just get a bigger number.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
My numbers are a bit low because of injector size and humid louisiana. If you were to switch to e85 youd be closer to the 300 mark.

I enjoy the ls4. Took some time to get used to as it is a bit sensitive. But nothing crazy. A good street tune helps a lot.

It was abandoned because zzp couldnt master it and the lack of power to be obtained by it.
Others have done it with great success. There is actually a guy in Houston who has a twincharged redline. He used to be active on here. Lazerracer if I remember correctly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts