Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Which will be faster, the Cobalt SS or the ION Red Line?

• Cobalt SS

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • ION Red Line

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • They will perform exactly the same.

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there has been some debate about which vehicle will be faster from the factory. The lighter weight ION Red Line, or the Cobalt SS.

What do you think?

I'm running the same poll over at the Cobalt SS Forums -- I wonder how much different the results will be?

·
Registered
487 Posts
meh, as long as the gearing is equal, the RL with a bit less curb weight and the 17's should be able to pull a bit on the heavier cobalt and the 18 inch giant wheels

·
Registered
453 Posts
You know all the RL owners will say theirs is faster, and all the future Cobalt owners will say they think the Cobalt is faster, even though the magazine stated differently.
A Saturn being faster then a Chevy? No way!! :eek: :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
im glad to own a saturn, one of many reasons is when you beat someone in a race, they think to themselves, I JUST GOT BEAT BY A SATURN! i think it comes across more of a slap in the face rather than a chevy. anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that the ss will be quicker and i think that the SSS cobalt will be faster than either one. But than again i dont own either one and could beat all three of them in a race so im not worried.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ekool, you are just fueling the fire.

Let's concentrate on whooping the imports. :D

Just imagine a Civic ricer getting his ass handed to him by a Chevy, Dodge AND a Saturn all in one day. ;) He'd be contemplating suicide. LOL!

·
Registered
416 Posts
redlinology said:
I think that the ss will be quicker and i think that the SSS cobalt will be faster than either one. But than again i dont own either one and could beat all three of them in a race so im not worried.
Wow. Such humility and tact.

·
Registered
351 Posts
From GM

At nearly 3,000 pounds the Cobalt SS isn't light either, and it feels heavy on the road. Plus its acceleration is tempered by those big, heavy (25 pounds each) wheels. Chevy says it will trail the Ion Red Line, which is powered by the same supercharged engine, in the quarter-mile by two-tenths of a second.
Full Story

I think I like!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is absolutely no test to show which will be faster until the SS s/c finally makes it way out of the womb. I think the cars will be so close that only the driver will be the determining factor of a race, and unless they've changed some weights I only remember seeing 2806lbs from all the reliable sources I use. Since the cars use the same motor, the aftermarket will have twice as much the ability to grow and satisfy both cars. And lastly, to truly say which car is better is all about your personal opinion of what looks good to you.

-adam-

·
Registered
487 Posts
adjat84th said:
There is absolutely no test to show which will be faster until the SS s/c finally makes it way out of the womb. I think the cars will be so close that only the driver will be the determining factor of a race, and unless they've changed some weights I only remember seeing 2806lbs from all the reliable sources I use. Since the cars use the same motor, the aftermarket will have twice as much the ability to grow and satisfy both cars. And lastly, to truly say which car is better is all about your personal opinion of what looks good to you.

-adam-

well, the cobalt doesnt have the polymer panels and gets heavier sheetmetal and heavier wheels, thats the only difference that I know of

·
Registered
416 Posts
On the Cobalt forums they are much more likely to think that the cobalt will be just as fast or not as fast. We seem to be more confident. Probably because we actually have our cars to drive, whereas they just get to see pictures.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
redlinology said:
no offense, but the SS will have the 2.4 with 170hp and tq, will be slower than the SSs/c being compared here with the RL, and is the step BELOW what is being compared here.

please explain the basis of your statement, as it seems completely uneducated.

that said, i belive that if they changed the gearing like i've heard, the cobalt will be slightly quicker, if not the same because of the added weight, but when some of us RL owners start to swap out the lighter suspension components and get lightweight wheels, i think the RL has the edge with the polymer panels. either way, i voted that they'll be the same, because they will be, all in all it's a drivers race with the twins

·
Registered
416 Posts
Vita said:
no offense, but the SS will have the 2.4 with 170hp and tq, will be slower than the SSs/c being compared here with the RL, and is the step BELOW what is being compared here.

please explain the basis of your statement, as it seems completely uneducated.

that said, i belive that if they changed the gearing like i've heard, the cobalt will be slightly quicker, if not the same because of the added weight, but when some of us RL owners start to swap out the lighter suspension components and get lightweight wheels, i think the RL has the edge with the polymer panels. either way, i voted that they'll be the same, because they will be, all in all it's a drivers race with the twins
I also voted that they will be the same. It really is the same car for the most part. It's like fighting over whether the sunfire is better than the cavalier. Same frame, engine, everything that really matters.

·
Registered
453 Posts
shaneathan said:
I also voted that they will be the same. It really is the same car for the most part. It's like fighting over whether the sunfire is better than the cavalier. Same frame, engine, everything that really matters.
Its like 2 RL's racing each other. All depends on the driver. Ya know, like how you sadly admitted you'd lose to me. :cool:

·
Registered
416 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
Its like 2 RL's racing each other. All depends on the driver. Ya know, like how you sadly admitted you'd lose to me. :cool:
Well, I said that when I was still in my reformation period. Now I think I can beat you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what i've heard the cobalt ss is still 100 pounds liter than the redlie...even with steel panels and bigger wheels, i have no clue how thats possible but just what u heard

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if anyone's noticed, the cobalt site shows them thinking the cobalt will be faster, while we think the RL will be faster (majority, i voted equal), pretty amusing for a bored guy like me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts