Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car dynoed saturday. 226whp bone stock (on a dynojet), not even an air box mod. Which begs the question, does the break in period matter? Considering the car was beat one since owned (155 miles) and probably beat on worse by the salesman before that, and still put down the most power that I've heard of yet. But that's beside the point.

What matters is that I haven't heard anyone else that's dynoed the car mention a/f ratios. So I'll give the good news. There's LOTS of head room for air flow mods before needing a tune. Above 5,000rpm (or somewhere around there) it dropped (and stayed) below 10:1. There's also a strange lean spike in there around 4k, but other than that the tune is very conservative and leaves plenty of room for more air. Which brings me to another question, does anyone have an AFC up and running on one of these cars yet?

I'll try to take pics when I get time and have the a/f and dyno charts up by the end of the week. If this is old news again, I'll just go sit in the corner and bang my head on the wall. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
planetSlowCar1 said:
Just got the car dynoed saturday. 226whp bone stock (on a dynojet), not even an air box mod. Which begs the question, does the break in period matter? Considering the car was beat one since owned (155 miles) and probably beat on worse by the salesman before that, and still put down the most power that I've heard of yet. But that's beside the point.

What matters is that I haven't heard anyone else that's dynoed the car mention a/f ratios. So I'll give the good news. There's LOTS of head room for air flow mods before needing a tune. Above 5,000rpm (or somewhere around there) it dropped (and stayed) below 10:1. There's also a strange lean spike in there around 4k, but other than that the tune is very conservative and leaves plenty of room for more air. Which brings me to another question, does anyone have an AFC up and running on one of these cars yet?

I'll try to take pics when I get time and have the a/f and dyno charts up by the end of the week. If this is old news again, I'll just go sit in the corner and bang my head on the wall. :rolleyes:
is it an '05 with the most recent PCM calibration? if so, that makes a huge difference compared to the '04s with the old calibration

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
wow, thats awesome.....but do u think i could get a dyno chart on that one, thats pretty amazing to me.

good job tho, if its true!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Correction factor anyone?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The correction factor was "SAE 0.99" or something like that, I'm not really sure because I just had a passing glance and didn't pay much attention to it. I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest, but ALL dyno computers use a built in correction factor, and I also didn't ask for any special correction factor to inflate the numbers.

I'll get everything posted up soon including the sheet with enviromental (sp?) conditions and the correction factor used. It was done on a standard dynojet. The same one used by all of my friends and none of their cars have inflated HP numbers, in fact it usually reads on the low side.

No its not an '05. It was an '04 left over that had been at the dealership quite awhile.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3rd

We tried 4th but the chart was very rough and had a sharp drop at 6,000rpm.

I wonder if it makes a difference that it runs on the wonderful New England 93 rather than the 91 many other people are stuck with?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yah

Yah, The better the gas the better the numbers. Especially for supercharged and turbo'd cars. I'm not sure exactly but maybe a 5-10 hp increase from like 89 to 93 octane?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Holy crap dude!!! You need to post that chart up quick.

What was your torque numbers?

Here in TX we have 93 oct also. I haven't dynoed my car at all yet though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I belive it! I have seen multiple cars pull better numbers the harder they are beat on during the break in period. The GM LS1 is really good for this.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you want to reset the car to beat on mode. unplug the battery for like 30 mins. Then reconnect it. Then go run the car hard. I have heard that this will set the car up different. Not sure if this is true or not but hey it worth trying. Someone let me know if you have heard anything like this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
05IsAlive said:
Actually, according to: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm The best way to break in a car is by beating on it!
if this is true then i shouldnt have any trouble....i picked up the dealer's showroom redline after a kid bought it (didn't know how to drive a stick) & he went thru 2 clutches :eek: , a pair of tires :eek: and a transmission mount :eek: .... in 2000 miles & less than 30 days. i picked it up for $15k with 2600 miles on it and the remainder of the factory warranty ;) . the dealership(saturn of st. peters, mo) seems to be very intrested in making sure that i am very satisfied with this purchase

1 - 13 of 13 Posts