Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would see who was racing in the SCCA Solo II. I ran my first race this past weekend and won D stock. Of course there where only 2 of us in that class. But I did beat a Talon. I was wondering what kind of set ups far as tire pressure, full tank of gas or just enought to run. I know mine seem to push alot. I had a hard time getting traction out of the corners, to accelerate. Lots of wheel spin. I had 6 runs so I played with tire pressure and controlling the spin verse letting the smoke out. Spinning worked better for me far as time. I drop about a second a run, so atleast I was working in the right direction. If I had a LSD or could get traction out of the corners I would have gone. That seem to be where I needed the most improvement on the car. Any thought on how I can improve upon coming out of the corners?

·
Registered
493 Posts
SaturnI0Nredline said:
Just thought I would see who was racing in the SCCA Solo II. I ran my first race this past weekend and won D stock. Of course there where only 2 of us in that class. But I did beat a Talon. I was wondering what kind of set ups far as tire pressure, full tank of gas or just enought to run. I know mine seem to push alot. I had a hard time getting traction out of the corners, to accelerate. Lots of wheel spin. I had 6 runs so I played with tire pressure and controlling the spin verse letting the smoke out. Spinning worked better for me far as time. I drop about a second a run, so atleast I was working in the right direction. If I had a LSD or could get traction out of the corners I would have gone. That seem to be where I needed the most improvement on the car. Any thought on how I can improve upon coming out of the corners?
Try some left foot braking while you are accelerating. When you are about to exit the turn apply pressure to the brakes and then start letting off as you exit the turn. What you are doing is keeping the weight from shifting to the rear (when you accelerate) so that the front tires don't lose their grip. It takes alot of practice to get this technique down, so don't freak out if you accidentally slam the brake down on your first try. Your left foot isn't as sensitive to pressure as your right(assuming your right handed) so you might give it too much the first few times. Practice this at low speeds first. Don't attempt it at high speed until you know for sure you can do it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
I'd love to do some kind of racing but nothing is ever hosted in my area except a few drag strips.
umm. SCCA Auto Cross, in Hershey/Lancaster http://www.scca-susq.com/
There is the Dragstrip - south Mountain...

Thats about it that i have found in this area...

and i plan on doing the Solo 2 which is in 2 weeks... if anyone in PA wants to Meetup

Xau

·
Registered
943 Posts
If they ares till doing it in middle georgia, I will be. They were doing it in high school parking lot where i live, but haven't seen them in a while.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I am seriously considering it. I got my SCCA info packet last week and just haven't had time to go over it all. There is a SOLO II class at the end of the month near me. 2 Day class, first day class room and second day is track day to apply what we laerned on day 1. You have to attend the classroom sesion to participate in the track day.

Is it worth it to join up? What is the advantage of this? You all know I am a big fan of the "keep it on the track" mentality. I think this is a good outlet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have done 1 solo 2, a few years ago, previous car... Basically, the first time, they will let you use a helmet.. and then they can show you the track...

I plan on going, in about 2 weeks... i do know, that the front tires spin like mad, out of the corners the way i drive, but this is the best way to learn how your car handles. and how far you can push it in a turn, with out worrying about on coming traffic....

Xau

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This is the class I was referring to. Might be fun and I figured I could actually learn something. I don't know how it will look when I show up in a redline though. I'm sure I will get laughed at by a few and the rest will just shake there heads in preperation for the stomping which they are about to recieve.

http://www.detroit-scca.org/news/solo05e2.asp

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm pissed, I totally messed up and dropped the ball on getting myself registered for the road racing club that I was joining, and now I'm gonna have to miss the test and tune sessions this weekend. ****! I might join the SCCA to have 2 sets of events to choose from, these guys I'm hooking up with do alot more road racing, which the SCCA has moved to Solo I mostly. Some autocross as well, but mainly road courses. I'm thinking of joining both so I can have something to do when these guys aren't running, they only run like once or sometimes twice a month. SCCA is running every weekend I think.

·
Registered
70 Posts
dipolley: for the most part SCCA racers know what cars are fast - and i can guaran-damn-tee that they know that they should fear a red line. Of course, the WRX and SRT boys won't know to fear a saturn, but i believe that the RL should already have quite a bit of racing credit, based on its linear power delivery, tight handling, and believe it or not, great racing seats. It's a lot easier to drive when you're not concentrating on falling out of the seat!!! If you're racing in the detroit region, there will at least be another RL (me!!) as soon as i get my car (and break it in for ~2k miles). That should be mid-may. Shoot me a PM if you want someone to go with. I've auto-x'd before, and i can tell you that it's adictive!!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would love to get together with veteran AutoX'er. And as for it being addictive, that is my biggest fear. I was out enjoying this warm day as it is, god help me if I start actually racing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The WRX STI are killer fast. I was about 4 seconds slower then the slowest one. They seem to handle alot better then our RL. Then again it could be the driver.I loved it and I'm going to do it again. I'm going to go to the driving school this weekend and work on my cornering. I might have to get a new set of tires soon if I keep this up.
Solo II D stock thats what we are in. Here is the List
D Stock (DS)
Acura Integra Type R
Audi S4 (‘00-’03) TT (180 hp single intercooler)
BMW 330Ci 3 Series, 6 cyl. (non-M) NOC
Cadillac CTS
Chrysler/Dodge Crossfire Daytona IROC R/T SRT-4
Honda Prelude VTEC engine models (‘97+)
Infiniti G35 Sedan
Jaguar X Type 3.0 (AWD) X Type
Lexus IS300
Mazda Speed Protege
Mercedes C320
Mitsubishi/DSM
Eclipse/Talon Turbo AWD
Nissan Sentra Spec-V (‘02+) Maxima (‘04+)
Saab 9-2X Aero (2.0L turbo)
Saturn Ion Redline
Subaru Forester 2.5XT WRX
Toyota Celica GTS (‘00+)
Volkswagen Golf/Jetta/GLI 24V VR6 (‘02+) R32
Volvo S60R (‘03+)
V70R (‘03+)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
dipolley said:
This is the class I was referring to. Might be fun and I figured I could actually learn something. I don't know how it will look when I show up in a redline though. I'm sure I will get laughed at by a few and the rest will just shake there heads in preperation for the stomping which they are about to recieve.

http://www.detroit-scca.org/news/solo05e2.asp
I am also seriously considering going to this drivers school. I am also worried about getting addicted and the future cost that would stem from that addiction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe out of that D-stock list the 330Ci is usually the car that dominates the class. That's if memory serves me correct from last years winners. It seems to me that most of the top d-stock cars were 330Ci's. Either way, auto-x is fun!! Even if you come in dead last, it's still great.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Xau said:
umm. SCCA Auto Cross, in Hershey/Lancaster http://www.scca-susq.com/
There is the Dragstrip - south Mountain...

Thats about it that i have found in this area...

and i plan on doing the Solo 2 which is in 2 weeks... if anyone in PA wants to Meetup

Xau

I knew about South Mountain b/c it's about 5 miles from my house but I didn't know about the SCCA chapter near here. thanks for the info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts