Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FedEx is supposed to deliver my Sprint springs here tomorrow.

So......I was wondering if any has, or could, post a DIY for the removal and installation of new springs. I've never done this before and any tips, hints or directions would be excellent.

thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey, I was making a how to but since I didn't have an impact gun to do the front struts I never finished the video. However they are really simple to do. Long as you have the right tools. I could probably still do a write up

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D3XXFR said:
Hey, I was making a how to but since I didn't have an impact gun to do the front struts I never finished the video. However they are really simple to do. Long as you have the right tools. I could probably still do a write up
Please do. I hope to install them this weekend. Also, what tools will I need? Is an impact gun a necessity? I have a 1/4" air ratchet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
yes! you will just twist the shaft of the strut.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlackLine said:
yes! you will just twist the shaft of the strut.
Hmmmm....I don't have an impact. Maybe I can get my buddies brother to install them for me. He's a tech at Saturn of Fort Worth. I'd love to just be able to do it myself, but if I don't have the proper tooling, I don't wanna take any chances of messing something up or hurting myself.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'd say the impact wrench isn't he problem; it's the spring compressor. I was going to buy springs for my old Sunfire but my dad wouldn't let me do it unless I got it professionally done, because spring compressors are tricky, esp. the at-home ones that you can rent at Murray's - who wants to shoot a compressed spring through their roof, or maybe the fender of the car? Just let a pro do it - there's no shame in it, the mod gets done, and it's a few more dollars and a little less of a hassle.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
I'd say the impact wrench isn't he problem; it's the spring compressor. I was going to buy springs for my old Sunfire but my dad wouldn't let me do it unless I got it professionally done, because spring compressors are tricky, esp. the at-home ones that you can rent at Murray's - who wants to shoot a compressed spring through their roof, or maybe the fender of the car? Just let a pro do it - there's no shame in it, the mod gets done, and it's a few more dollars and a little less of a hassle.
A spring compressor is so simple to use. If you get one with the hooks that wrap aound the coil it's nearly impossibly for it to go anywhere. You're going to pay a lot of money for a shop to put springs on. Do it yourself and save a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
take the struts out and bring them to saturn they will put the spring on them for like 40 bucks. If not be very very careful with them. I had mine dropped a few months ago and its the best cosmetic thing I have done.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
goofyguy said:
take the struts out and bring them to saturn they will put the spring on them for like 40 bucks. If not be very very careful with them. I had mine dropped a few months ago and its the best cosmetic thing I have done.

I've been wanting to drop mine ever since I bought it back in Oct.

I think there is way too much space between the wheels and wheel wells. I wonder why they only lowered the redline just a teeny bit more that the reg. QC? My neighbor has a reg. QC and you have to look REALLY closely to notice the RL is just a bit lower.

I've been admiring pics of you guys' lowered RL's for a while and when my buddy Austin came by and I saw it in person, I HAD to have it done.

I've been practicing not pulling up so far when parking it, so as not to hit the higher parking curbs. LOL! :p

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
you will still do it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've become alot more aware now that I'm lowered I'm sure I'll hit something once but I'm still doing good right now

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wooohoooo!!!!

Springs are on FedEx truck for delivery TODAY according to the tracking info. :D

I wish I could just slap them on real quick, but I'll probably have to wait.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
JPK said:
Wooohoooo!!!!

Springs are on FedEx truck for delivery TODAY according to the tracking info. :D

I wish I could just slap them on real quick, but I'll probably have to wait.
Hey, mine too. Alright!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know how you guys get away with lowering your cars!!! Mine is stock and I'm forever catching the front on driveways and curbs!! Is it Illinois or what!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Is it the actual front bumper of the car or the just the black plastic air dam that runs lower? It should be ok if the air dam hits, but I haven't scraped the bottom of the front bumper on anything yet...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
goofyguy said:
Is it just a cosmetic mod? Or are you noticing any difference in handling or the ability to take turns a bit faster with lower center of gravity? I think I asked this in another thread, but I don't recall it being answered...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jpapa said:
Is it just a cosmetic mod? Or are you noticing any difference in handling or the ability to take turns a bit faster with lower center of gravity? I think I asked this in another thread, but I don't recall it being answered...

I put the back springs on last night. I'm gonna go put the front ones on right now. I'll be back to answer your question a little later.

My buddy told me that it has improved his handling and even helped out a little bit with the wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
my springs are still sitting in my trunk......and have been for a few weeks now. im just gonna wait till school finishes out here in the next 2 weeks and then take the time to put em on. cant wait tho......worried about the install, maybe ill have psi-fi or a saturn dealer do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts