Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help me with this, does the RL take 7 quarts of oil because of the supercharger? maybe because of probably a bigger oil pan, but why?
just wanted to know.

I have no idea, just wanted to know curiosity of why my 2.0 S/C needs almost double the amount of oil than a bigger engine say a 5.0 mustang would?

·
Registered
808 Posts
i thought it was 6 quarts anyway the more oil the easier it is to keep cool and yes the supercharger does raise the heat.

·
Registered
524 Posts
6.75 quarts to be exact. The supercharger takes oil too so that is why it uses more. Also most FI cars from factory have larger oil pans and what not. Part of the reason is precautionary steps if you ask me, like the car might burn oil until the rings seat...

Tom

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Of course, if you read the owners manual they say that if you are going to be racing the car for an extended period of time, you should add an additional quart of oil to the engine. It says to remove this extra oil after you are done racing. So maybe 7 3/4 quarts of oil at times.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
6.75 quarts to be exact. The supercharger takes oil too
Well, not quite. The supercharger dose use oil but it has it's own oil supply isolated in the gear drive section of the blower seperate from the engine's oil supply. The two are not connected in any way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, anyone changing their own oil knows what size socket it takes to remove the oil filter cap? I have been taking it to the dealer but next time I am doing it myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
yianco465 said:
Also, anyone changing their own oil knows what size socket it takes to remove the oil filter cap? I have been taking it to the dealer but next time I am doing it myself.
Hello
1 1/4 inch socket (22MM???) i only have a 1/2 drive socket that big,
you have to removes both bolts in the antifreeze filler neck to gain access.
i used a 12 inch extension to reach the top cap.
the filter is the same filter used on all 2.2 and 2.0 Ltr saturn engines.
i have used royal purple 5W30 since the first change, this is 1 dollar more a quart then the Mobil 1 oil. this is a personal choice, i believe the Mobil 1 is very good for the RL engine, just follow the change schedule.
good luck it is a very easy job.
6 3/4 quarts.

B

·
0 Posts
I am thinking about using Royal Purple Oil. If it works like they say, it's worth the extra dollar. I found a site that has free shipping.

http://www.rpmoil.com/?r=g1

I had my first oil change about a week and a half ago. I have to wait for the second one. :D

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
also remember there is an oil cooler, so that adds capacity

1 - 10 of 10 Posts