Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off heres a picture of my sedan.

I have hydros in it and a coupe front end swap. I want to drop the car another 2" but my axle hits my motor on the passenger side (I think thats the one, its the longer axle). I am trying to figure out ways to resolve this issue and let me lay engine cradle.

I was wondering how hard it would be to put redline axles into my 2.2 sedan. I know that I would need the half shaft as well, but would the axles slide right into the tranny and would bracket that holds the half shaft bolt to the 2.2 engine cradle? I figure since most of the car is the same it should be fine. My last question is does the redline axle have the same spline count/type as the normal 2.2? Basically would I be able to slide a redline axle into my 4 bolt wheel bearing or would I need to replace EVERYTHING.

And now that I am on the topic. The bolt pattern that holds the rear breaks onto the swing arm. Does it have the same bolt pattern as the 2.2 Brake drum? Basically could you just swap the brakes/wheel bearings from a redline to a 2.2?

ONE LAST THING. Do the cobalt bearings work? and would they have a better bolt pattern? I think I remember hearing something that the new Balt TC has a more common bolt pattern?

I am just trying to figure out ways to get my axle out of my engine right now and the half shafts might fix that, but would cause other problems that I would need to fix.

Sorry for the long read.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
first off, thats a pretty clean sedan, i like it with the coupe front end.

i dont know if the redline axle will work, might be a differnt spline count and i think they are over all thicker.

i dont get what you want to do with the rear drums, if you want disc brakes, use a s-series read disc brake swap.

the bolt patterns are the same for the cobalts and the turbo cobalts. the TC balts have a harder time finding wheels cause not all the wheels clear the brembos. so i dont know where you heard they had a greater selection and differnt bolt pattern

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its ok if the axles are thicker I mainly want to do the swap so I have the two piece axle on the one side as I am hoping it will help clear the motor. My axle right now touches the motor when I drop it all the way down. With having the half shaft running flat where the axle pivots should provide the clearance for the motor.

As for the rear end. If I can avoid changing the bearings I would be happy. If the redline axles would slip into the 2.2 4x100 bearings that would be great.

Does anyone know the spline counts of the axles/bearings?

I should take a picture of my axle now to better illustrate the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe call a dealership and ask them that, i dont think anyone would now.......i have a set of broken ones. if i get the chance ill take a look and count how many teeth there are on the male side of axle
That would be great as I have a wheel bearing sitting in my garage that I can count the teeth on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it turns out the axles won't work with my tranny so I would have have to swap trannies. for my plan to work. IF the half axles would even fix my problem to begin with.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I like the front end swap, very sexy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts