Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I just bought myself a 2004 Saturn ION Redline with 154000km on it. I love the car and it looks to have been taken care of very well but since I'm not to familiar with owning a supercharged car in cold Canadian winters I'm wondering if there are some winter preparation I should do to the car to help it have a long and productive life and start easily in the winter.

I was thinking of installing a block heater or two installed on the car. One in the water jackets of course and maybe one on the oil pan to heat the engine oil up.

I do have an optima red top in the car already and of course winter tires.

Any input into this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
just the GM block heater is needed. its not cheap. oil pan heaters have to be plugged in while oil is warm otherwise they burn out the element. not worth it.

get the car oiled underneath for winter. 50 bux, worth the investment.

This is my winter prep., for my 04 Redline

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM block heater is what I figured I would go with and it seems worth it considering I was warned about letting the car warm up.

I'm not sure if it a good idea but for warm up I generally drive the car and keeping the RPM as low as possible to allow the Tranny and engine to warm up at the same time.

I do have a electronic rust inhibitor on the car but I'm not sure how to check if its working or if the thing even works. I think I will have the oiled under coating done though.

I know the car calls for 5w 30 mobile one, do you think it would be a bad idea to go to a 0w 30 synthetic for winter?

Storing it away would be great but its my only working car right now so, need to get to work.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
no. if you live in far northern ontario, then go head try 0w30, the viscometrics are good. Starting is 90% of wear and a block heater is an very good idea. Car gets warmer in side the car faster as well. Bonus. I would just run 5w30 to tell the truth.

the science of the electrostatic rust inhibitors is phoney. Developed for large ships in salt water, could have a chance of working. On a car, its a scam the science doesnt work. Oil the darn car and toss that electric rust inhibitor in the garbage....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a Redline driving in some harsh winter conditions.

Does anyone know where the block heater goes.

Ive been to 3 mechanics, including GM. They cant find a specified block heater part for a 04 redline. Is this ebay link the legit block heater part for it. Thanks

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I just finally got mine put away this weekend, my winter mod if diving in the snow a lot would be a limited slip diff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts