Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to make the front turn flasher signals red? Not the side markers but the lights that actually flash. I have a red undertone to my car and im trying to add the color in various ways. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Probably depends on were you live but most likely it'll be illegal reason being from what I been told Red and Blue are reserved colors for emergency vehicals only.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I've been told that legally, the turn signal indicators have to be the amber color. There is a reason that every car I've noticed comes with them as amber. Check it out, don't know for sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why...

why would it be ok for the signal to be red in the back like ours is stock? whats the big deal about it being in front that makes it illegal?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
no that is not legal anywhere in the us. amber or white only

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeahhhhhh, I know a kid who almost got in real trouble for red TINT on the back windows of his Cavalier, I'd advise HEAVILY against it; I wouldn't have even bought red NEONS for my car, because red & blue are reserved for emergency vehicles. I think a car with white neons would look cool . . . or maybe green or purple. I would get something like that for my car, honestly, but it's a lease . . . (sits back and ponders how the dealership would feel about that . . .)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Red is bad. very very very bad. whatever you do dont do it.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Agreed, Red means no in this case. I know a guy who put a red flashing light on his dash (yes he is dumb as a brick..I am actually surprised he can drive) and well, that lasted one night.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The red and blue lights visible anywhere from the front aren't legal because they resemble police and other emergency vehicles. Even those LED window washers that light up blue aren't legal. My brother got pulled over for his bluish parking lights that were on that double up with his driving/fog lights. No ticket, just a warning, but he said 5 cops at once stopped him for it....

But red tint? That can get you in serious trouble? That is one that I don't understand...

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Blue N Boosted on here had a blue CRX before the RL, and got pulled over and ticketed for the blue winshield washer nozzles. He was heading through a DUI checkpoint, and they still pulled him over for that. And my roommate from school got pulled over on campus gor orange ones, and an orange frame on his license plate (in the back, not front). He was told, anything RESEMBLING red or blue, meaning from pink-orange, and turquois-purple, if the cop feels it's close enough, he can ticket you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it's illegal as hell here in indiana. i had a friend who had a green car and used green turn signal lights and got ticketed. he had to pay 140 dollar ticket! anyway blue and red are for police/fire and green is for emt. so unless your a fire/police or emt don't .

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Probably depends on were you live but most likely it'll be illegal reason being from what I been told Red and Blue are reserved colors for emergency vehicals only.
You are absolutely correct on that sir, red & blue are for emergecy vehicles only. Now if you are making stricly a show car and will NOT be driving on the streets you can do it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well..

My car def. ain't gonna be no trailor queen. Alright so if red is illegal, what about replacing the amber turn signals with Xenon? Is that legal?

·
Registered
367 Posts
red on the rear is fine because its your brake light flashing, as well red on the front of the vehicle (any kind of light) is moreso illegal because at nighttime the ligths are used to mark the front and rear of your vehicle, so other drives can ascertain your direction of travel,

I actually poured over the law from my local area (went to the police station and had them supply me with a copy of the vehicle code documents :D) and essentially it says, no white light facing back, no colored light facing forward, NO BLUE LIGHT, If the bulb/light is not visible you can have colored lights inside the cab, red light visible from the rear of the car is okay, as it is essentially an auxiliary driving light (same thing as running lights, or forward facing foglights, which (at least in my province) are 100% legal as long as they are white, DOT, and forward facing.

White turn signals *should* be okay, but it boils down to you should check with your local police dept.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
DO IT!! If a cop pulls you over, it's only cuz he thinks it's cool, and he wants to find out how you did it so he can do it on his! So when you get stopped, just jump out and run towards him screaming about how it works, and he'll meet you 1/2 way.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
red and blue colors are only legal according to dot if the visible lights only is seen, if you can see any part of the bulb itself it is not legal, example: if you have an undercar kit in red or blue.... as long as the entire bulb is completely hidden under the car this meaning no matter how far back you walk you can not see the actual tube then technically they can not do anything to you if they do you can fight it and almost always win that one, if only the "glow" is visable and only on the ground not reflecting off your car then it is legal, this is according to an actual dot officer. just though i would put that here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^good to know, thanks ^^^

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
NOT TRUE IN CALI. I have talked to EVERYONE (cops and a judge) any extra lighting seen or not is illegal in cali. "distraction to drivers" undercar lights, see bulb or not, illegal, lighting other than the dome and map lights, illegal, everything and everything, ............. now if you really want to get really techinical, it is up to the cop but i personally have gotten pulled over 10+ for "extra lighting". so if your in cali i would recomend not doing it unless you dont care. i never really got a real ticket i always got a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
legally you can fight that just because the judge and cops say that, that is not what dot law is period. go to your local town office and ask to see the dot book look it up i have already checked with street glow and many others on this and they can actuallt provide the exact dot #'s of the laws for you if you have to go to court.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts