Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Working on new grill...

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Blue N Boosted 
#1 · (Edited)
Working on new grill...Update with new pics

I thought about getting the mesh, and may go back to that. but thought I might try something else. After some file work and cutting, the rough up is complete, kind of gives me a direction to go now.

The channel that is used as the bracing in the middle will probably go and be replaced with some rods and spacers. The wide part of the aluminum bar will be painted black, and the edge on will be machined to a satin finish. I think also i will be bending the stock to match the angle at the front of the insert...

Still a rough model, but gives anidea of where to head.

Couple of shots after some more work, and on the car. Still not finished though...Once the black is put on the vertical spacers will not be seen, just the front edge of the bar stock will be silver.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it so far. Billet always looks good on trucks like to see a car.

#5 ·
let me know how much you want to make another one i can do it here but dont have any time to do so. i like it looks really good very clean.

#6 ·
Seems like that would look very nice on our cars. I haven't poked around under there yet, but that kind of stinks that that assembly is all one piece...I was under the impression that those fog light covers were separate pieces that you could pop right out...guess not. I guess there is some cutting involved, kind of disappointing.

#9 ·
Thanks for the interest in it all. I haven't been back to it in a couple days now, but should get some work on it this weekend. Damn perfection, always so hard to attain...

SatredL Is that a piece of carbon fiber replacing the red in your avatar?

#12 ·
There are some bolts on the bottom (4 I believe) and just a shit load of clips which you can see from the back side. Its very easy to get out if you crawl under and look at it.

#14 ·
XeroState said:
There are some bolts on the bottom (4 I believe) and just a shit load of clips which you can see from the back side. Its very easy to get out if you crawl under and look at it.
I'm not sure of what size guy you are, but on my driveway, I can't even seem to fit my head under the car, let alone my fat ass. No way I can get in there to see bout those clips unless I jack up the car at least a little bit.

#16 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
I'm not sure of what size guy you are, but on my driveway, I can't even seem to fit my head under the car, let alone my fat ass. No way I can get in there to see bout those clips unless I jack up the car at least a little bit.
Hahaha, yea I am a small dude. I can slide almost half of my chest under the front of the car without much of a problem. Though the bolts are only about a foot or so under the car (I am merely guessing from memory here). See, there are always advantages to being the smaller guy:D.

#17 ·
XeroState said:
Hahaha, yea I am a small dude. I can slide almost half of my chest under the front of the car without much of a problem. Though the bolts are only about a foot or so under the car (I am merely guessing from memory here). See, there are always advantages to being the smaller guy:D.
Yes, there are many advantages when talking about situations like this. I'm 5'9", 220 lbs, 17.5 inch neck, chest and shoulders to match. You get the idea. Basically, braod and wide from the mother's side of the family. The only car I can normally fit under in my driveway is my father's '69 Pontiac Tempest. That thing is so high up, especially compared to our cars, that I can fit my entire body anywhere under it.

Sorry, back to the grill issue at hand. I like what you're doin, and I'd like to see some more pics after you tweak it and think it's perfect.

#18 ·
I have been working on car since I was five, so 26 years now or so. When I was young, it was easy to get under and into anything, but these days I am 6' and 250lbs. I still find a way in this car. I can get my head under there enough to get all the parts out. I once ran new wiring in my '66 mustang while laying on my back with my feet over the front seats and my head stuffed up under the dash, with a mini mag-light strapped to the side of my head.

Here is a shot with some black on the aluminum. I think I have found a way to make this much easier than the process i have gone through so far, aka trial and error...

#20 ·
Thanks man, I'm gonna pick up some more material and see if I can knock one out the way I think I can now. My only real problem is going to be spacers. I lucked out and found a free supply of precut spacers in just the size I wanted, but may not be able to get more and will have to find a new source. I'm also looking at turning my attention to the smaller openings on the side if the main.

#21 ·
that does look really awsome!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.