Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Would an AWD Redline be possible?

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  matt 
#1 ·
Would it be possible to modify the AWD transmission in the Vue to work on the Redline? I just think the idea of an AWD Redline would be awesome!

#3 ·
Yeah I thought it might be cool to try to Frankenstein a Redline like this. Ive got a lead on a totaled Vue Redline so I could get the AWD tranny pretty easily. Im just wondering how extensive the modification would be to make this work

#5 ·
Yeah I know it would be tough. I just dont want to wait plus the cobalt doesnt quite work for a family car!

#8 ·
matt said:
What do you think the Ion platform is based of off?

If you want AWD, get a Vue. With the time and money wasted on an AWD setup, a really fast RL could be had.

+1

If you are wanting to get rid of the wheel hop, invest in some poly control arm bushings and engine and tranny mounts. Then add some drage radials. It will save you a ton of time and money.

#9 ·
Ryan we looked into this and figured out the feasability and it wasn't from a Vue that we looked at getting the parts..instead we looked at the AWD Saab, but decided against it because of all the shit that would need to be done.

#10 ·
zvillepimp1982 said:
Yeah I thought it might be cool to try to Frankenstein a Redline like this. Ive got a lead on a totaled Vue Redline so I could get the AWD tranny pretty easily. Im just wondering how extensive the modification would be to make this work
yeah I thought about this awhile back. look iunto saab AWD parts. it would be pricy but it can ben done?

#13 ·
you would be better off getting a totaled honda civic hybrid or pruis and taking the motor, batteries and controller and hook it up to the rear end. So your front would be gas, normal redline and the rear would be an electric. If i am not mistaken, there is not a normal geared tranny (i think it is direct drive, or similar) so you would be ok.

#14 · (Edited)
The Vue is a completely different animal, it wouldn't work. The easiest way is to just transfer the Ion body to an awd car and chassis. We did this back in the 80's with an El Camino SS. We mounted it on a K-10 Blazer chassis, and lifted it way high with some big ol' super swampers...it was a pretty cool vehicle.:cool:

#15 ·
ptparker said:
you would be better off getting a totaled honda civic hybrid or pruis and taking the motor, batteries and controller and hook it up to the rear end. So your front would be gas, normal redline and the rear would be an electric. If i am not mistaken, there is not a normal geared tranny (i think it is direct drive, or similar) so you would be ok.
Hey, then we could finally get good gas mileage!:p I think I remember hearing that the electric motors make good torque. I bet it must be really heavy with all those batteries though.

#19 ·
ok first off... the only VUE AWD system we could use would have to come from a 2.2 not a redline vue whic has the honda 3.5L V6.... secondly... all of the AWD systems for the VUE's are AUTO.. so no more stick shift.. and if you want to cnovert it over to a stick you cant cause all off the AWD systems for the 2.2 were VTI tranny's... which for the poelpe that don't know SUCK ASS.. they can't hold power and grenade themselfs to death after 30k miles on a stock 2.2 engine.. that same tranny on this car wouldn't last a week..

listen if you want AWD go get an STi or an EVO.. stop trying to make this car what it's not going to be

#20 ·
crazybrew609 said:
ok first off... the only VUE AWD system we could use would have to come from a 2.2 not a redline vue whic has the honda 3.5L V6.... secondly... all of the AWD systems for the VUE's are AUTO.. so no more stick shift.. and if you want to cnovert it over to a stick you cant cause all off the AWD systems for the 2.2 were VTI tranny's... which for the poelpe that don't know SUCK ASS.. they can't hold power and grenade themselfs to death after 30k miles on a stock 2.2 engine.. that same tranny on this car wouldn't last a week..

listen if you want AWD go get an STi or an EVO.. stop trying to make this car what it's not going to be
I say go for it. Isn't the whole point of modding and customizing to have something that's a little different than the guy next to you? Also to have bragging rights? Personally I think it would be cool to see a AWD REDLINE. :)

#22 ·
Wel the reason I suggested it is im going to be moving up north an dwould like something AWD. Hell I guess I will just go buy an Evo

#25 ·
Yeah I might get an Sti if I can find a deal on a used one. I dont like the look of the front end on the new ones!

#26 ·
hmmm

I know sti's and evo's are nice z but I would go with like an 04 impreza wrx... cheaper, better gas, less problems, awd is sweetness, and the car can be modded easily with the huge selection of parts. But that is just comming from I, someone who always looks at a car as a huge money pit of death.

DAC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.