Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for anyone that has a line on valve covers for the The Red line engine Cheaper than Saturn ( $350 ) so I can start Powder coating them for you guys ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrCleanY0 said:
Customized valve covers would be nice. What do you think something like that would cost?
I'm not sure on a cost as of yet because the covers are mucho bucks to out right buy ........ But 4-cylinder Valve covers I powdercoat range from $50 - $150 depending on what you want done and how hard the covers are to obtain ;)

I'm hopeing to stay under $70 + core charge. If I can find many valve covers for cheap it will definetly be less $$$$$

I'm also going to offer spark plug covers, in a couple of weeks .....

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840&page=7&pp=10

·
Registered
681 Posts
I say under $10, plus about an hour's time - painted, not powder coated...looks great with wrinkle finish - check out my profile pic.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ive been lookin for them myself.......other than saturn. good luck with that, haha. i mean, not to mass produce, just so i can do my own. im not about to pay 350 for one from the dealer thats for sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xtremesc2 said:
ive been lookin for them myself.......other than saturn. good luck with that, haha. i mean, not to mass produce, just so i can do my own. im not about to pay 350 for one from the dealer thats for sure.
I found a place that will sell them for $250 each, so it will cost me $1000 for 4 just to get started for you guys ..... so if you guys think I can sell 25-30 at least on here .. I'll do it and order them up on Monday ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
DaytonaGTS said:
so if you guys think I can sell 25-30 at least on here .. I'll do it and order them up on Monday ;)
I don't know, it just really depends. Look at our two group buys so far. We paid up for the header, and got shafted. We now are paying up for the CAI's and that is going well. It's definitely a possibility. If you don't produce them I'm still going to get mine done...

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom01SC2 said:
I don't know, it just really depends. Look at our two group buys so far. We paid up for the header, and got shafted. We now are paying up for the CAI's and that is going well. It's definitely a possibility. If you don't produce them I'm still going to get mine done...

Tom
I want to produce them for you guys and the SS's, it's just a matter of getting started with valve covers for your car will be quite a bit out of pocket to get going, unlike say the SRT that I can offer a Brand New Valve cover powdercoated for $100 w/out a core charge, because a raw cover is way less money, accually I'm doing two of those today .... very bad castings so I'm haveing to spend alot more time than ussual grinding off nibs and making sure they will look good .....

BTW most people that powdercoat valve covers just clean, mask and shoot, they don't care if there are nibs or imperfections. I try and do every one as if it is going onto my car.

Unlike the header Group buy, I'm going to offer the covers when I get some in stock, and it won't be a huge out of pocket expense to get one done ;)

But a HUGE part of this will be you guys doing a fast turn around with getting your stock valve cover off, and sent back to me quickly once you recieve the new one ..... because I'll probebly have 4 of them in and out at one time, I wish I could do more but between gearing up for the spark plug covers and buying 4 valve covers I'm already putting a bit of Money on the line ;) But it is usually worth it all in the end . :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Cool deal, I'll definitely hold off then and see what you can come out with. Might as well give my money to the guys trying to get us parts...

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a SAAB parts dealer selling the same valve covers for even less $$$$ ..... hopefully it pans out ;)

Here is a little teaser, we powder coated my buds tonight.

This color is called, Black Crome

·
Registered
524 Posts
Believe it or not, I was actually going to suggest checking out some SAAB forums. Our engine and what not is exactly the same, stamped with SAAB marking on certain things. Hope things work out, definitely looks nice...

Tom

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On a similar note, do you guys think that the same paint used on the exterior could handle under-hood temps on the valve cover & CAI?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
dam man looks nice if you can do it for less than like 50$ i would be up for it but i dont know if i can afford much more, i also want to get the spark cover done. we will c what you can do and what i can afford but great work so far

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Man that valve cover looks so awesome. How hard is it to remove and reinstall the valve cover?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hyperion said:
On a similar note, do you guys think that the same paint used on the exterior could handle under-hood temps on the valve cover & CAI?
it usually can, I have painted many engine covers with the base coat clear coat system, and a few valve covers and intake manifolds, the ones that don't hold up are the High horsepower engines that get qhite hot, but honestly it is more expensive to do because of the cost of the paint alone. The materials alone range from about $35 to $100 just to do small peices like that. Automotive Paint and primers are not cheap.

just as an example, of paint, clear and primer cost alone, I did a GTI's engine cover, battery cover and grill ...... it was $120, not including labor.

Plus paint isn't any where near as scratch and chemical / oil resistant as powder coating is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jmonte345 said:
Man that valve cover looks so awesome. How hard is it to remove and reinstall the valve cover?
Thanks alot, I had no idea what this color was going to really look like, it is a new one I just got in. But it looks pretty cool, we thought the High gloss Gun Metalish looking color would look pretty sharp.

It wasn't that hard to remove, I think all bolts were 10mm, the hardest one was under the fuel line, we just loosened it up a bit and moved it enough to get the bolt out ....

The part some may have a little trouble with is the spark plug conectors, you need to pull up on the locking clip, then slid the conector off the coil pack. I will make up a how to and post it online when I start selling them.

Also be carful with the gasket, not to rip it ..... I think a new gasket kit is about $30 if you do ...... I ripped the first one I did on my SRT, and the gasket was $70

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Actaully its exactly the same as the Saab motor. I found in 2 places where the Saab stamp is on the tranny and block.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well any one have a line on a few yet?

I'm still looking.....

I want to be able to offer this option, but I need to get a couple core valve covers before that can happen.

Any Idea's ?

-Ron

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not sure where you can get a couple but put me on the list for one when you start making these.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts