Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, my car feels slower after putting on my exhaust. It feels slower on the freeway and on the street. But it especially feels slow on the freeway. I don't know what the hell is going on, it started happening immediately right after I put the exhaust on.

here are the specs of my car and exhaust.

2004 Ion RL 10,500 miles
2.5 inch piping press bent
OBX-R Muffler

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, just to add..

I dont have a resonator..
It feels like i've lost torque off the line. Not tons but definitely noticable.
It feels like i'm 2 cyclinders short on the freeway.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
there could be somthing in the piping causeing alot of backpressure or it could be ....................

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it almost feels like I have no back pressure....

I was thinking maybe I need that resonator back on my car for more backpressure..

correct? not correct?

·
Registered
366 Posts
your cat might be going out. what is press bent? mandrel or crush

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
yeah i was thinking that too but if you talk to some of the ppl here some have no res and still get the hp and everything ........

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wouldnt say it's a fart can. But it is a straight through design.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
crush bent is a no-no and you went up to 2.5 you are going to gain up top and loose down low that is physics when going to a larger diameter pipe, if you dyno the two that should be what you see. i also agree with poss the cat due to the flow difference now you will be passing more heat through it due to greater air flow. this can cause early cat failure i have seen it before especially on turbo cars

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
man its gotta be loud without the frigin resonator. I cant even imagine how loud it would be. Mine was stupid loud with duals but a Fart can with no resonator man you gotta be deaf.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, how do you guys think I should go about diagnosing the problem?

Well it is a "rice" type of muffler to you guys. It sounds bad ass to me but yes it is loud..

Here are pics and tell me if you think it's a fart can...

dL RL pics of car/exhaust

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any suggestions for any other problems that it could be?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Rice oh kill it someone gouge out my eyes. Ahh kill it. trade it out with something to it. Id start with a resonator.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The fact that it is a fart can may have something to do with it. Also I don't necessarily think that because the muffler is a straight through design that it is causing you problems. Quite a few guys have the Magnaflow Race series and if I am not mistaken, that is a straight through design as well. Maybe the 8 inch tip is the problem???

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... I just drove around for 2 hours or so and i've noticed something weird.

When i'm on the freeway going normal driving speed. If i floor it, I dont go anywhere. If I ease into to it I gain speed like crazy. ???? I dont think i'm mind fucking myself..

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah, it's not 8 inch. It's a 4"!!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
funny thing is i got more performance out of that same muffler than my new magnaflow! BUT i hated the look and sound so i changed it ;) Ricers are good for something (straight thru design) may be loud but that is how you bring power out :p

·
Registered
808 Posts
possibly created more valve train noise by not having as much back pressure, which would make the knock sensor retard the timing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.