Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but I think this is pretty cool.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/779-ZZP-Girdled-Block.aspx

There has been a pretty good debate and the shortbus regarding Sleeved blocks vs ZZP Girdled Blocks. Zooomer said he would make his blocks available for less then the cost of getting a block sleeved and he delivered.

http://www.lsjforums.com/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/bates-sleeved-blocks-264562/

$1k for a block that has proven to handle everything you can throw at it without the headache of dealing with getting sleeves installed? It seems pretty hard to beat if you ask me.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That's a steal if you ask me! Considering just the sleeves alone aren't too much less than that entire block. Very impressive. I'm alittle excited about this now. How long has this been up?

·
I'm bi-winning
900 Posts
This will put an end to people sleeving blocks. I hope.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
So what exactly is girdling? The ZZP page does not explain it. Just why sleeves are bad.

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a steal if you ask me! Considering just the sleeves alone aren't too much less than that entire block. Very impressive. I'm alittle excited about this now. How long has this been up?
Today.

This will put an end to people sleeving blocks. I hope.
Agreed.

So what exactly is girdling? The ZZP page does not explain it. Just why sleeves are bad.
Zooomer went into pretty deep detail in the thread on the shortbus. To sum it up, it takes an experienced shop to install sleeves on the ecotec and it is easy to screw up.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
This is a HUGE step for our community. Huge props to ZZP for coming through with this. They really are showing amazing results and constantly coming out with new useful products and services to excel beyond other companies and push this platform further and further.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Awesome that ZZP is always coming out for new things for this platform. This surely beats having to send a block off to Bates or someone else

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
I think I finally made my decision on sleeves. I've been going back and forth on either Darton or ZZP block for months.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
so what is this girdle is it a reshaped piece because we already have a girdle

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
Girdle is not quite the right word. They fill the block a little bit near the top of the sleeves for added strength and support for the open deck design.

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
probably just a silly noob question but isn't the sleeve there to protect the block? If somethin blows up in there, I'd rather replace a sleeve then have a big chunk out of the block:blowingup

·
Registered
958 Posts
probably just a silly noob question but isn't the sleeve there to protect the block? If somethin blows up in there, I'd rather replace a sleeve then have a big chunk out of the block:blowingup
dude either way if you pop a sleeve more then likly the block is junk anyways

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes. Filled block is a much better term.

diy filled b series block, with writeup, comments welcome - Honda-Tech

But we don't know if ZZP has done anything else to strengthen the block other then fill the top 1" or so. But most LSJ failures will crack the sleeve right at the top where it is least supported.

a filled block is in your link or when you use hardblock and water your filling the bloclk what zzp has done is machined the top of the deck out some place a piece of machined alluminum and welded it in aka girdleing or adding block webbing

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
Agreed with hnbracing. If you blow out a sleeve, you've probably damaged the outer aluminum sleeve as well. With that outer sleeve gone, there isn't anything to support the cast iron sleeve anymore. If you could save it at all, it would only be with Dartons, as they would drill out that aluminum outer sleeve anyway.

·
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm.. not quite :)

For the price, and for what I'm looking for, it'd be stupid not to go this route.
Have you changed your mind on sleeves?

what zzp has done is machined the top of the deck out some place a piece of machined alluminum and welded it in aka girdleing or adding block webbing
Do you know that for sure? I have not heard any one from ZZP actually say that. However, I do believe they have done more then just fill the top of the coolant passages around the sleeves.

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
Have you changed your mind on sleeves?
What I want is an 88mm bore.

ZZP's price is $1499 when you select that option on their site. Darton wants that just for the sleeves/install. The extra machine work at Darton would end up costing more too.

Still undecided on the crank.... One day I'm like hell yes, the other I'm still debating.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts