Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick review and some pictures for those that might try this in the future...

Installation was fairly easy, the most difficult part was figuring out how to route the intercooler pipes. Unfortunately we can't use the pipes in shipped form, so I had to make a few cuts, surprisingly less than I thought.

Few pictures to give you an idea with how I routed them, hotside goes towards the passenger side, through the fender and connects to the intercooler with an extra 90* 2.5" pipe and 45* coupler (only pieces I had to buy to make it all work). Cold side pipe I cut a few inches before the maf and then again before the throttle body after removing the flange.

The turbo intake side had to be done using 3" pipes, the intake shipped with the complete kit will not work. I used a 30* coupler, 90* pipe and a 45* pipe for the intake as shown.

Intercooler bolted up with no problems, got it centered and attached it directly to the crash bar.

Everything else is pretty easy, remove the SC stuff and swap it with the turbo stuff.

Now for the negatives - check the turbo manifold, I found casting sand? and pieces left over from the casting process. I can only imagine this crap would have been ran through the turbo, I only noticed it when feeling behind what was visible inside (sorry no pictures).

Downpipe apparently doesn't come with an extra bung for the wideband, I assumed since there wasn't an option it came with, but apparently they intend for people to run these with the stock sensors.

The maf section of the pipe seemed sloppy, I didn't like that the 2.5" pipe was right up against the maf sensor, you can see where it was milled for clearance, I ended up taking this to a local shop to have them fix it. We found the 2.5" pipe came in about 1"+ on either side.

Other than cleaning up a few things I'm pretty happy with the purchase, the tech support could be better (reason why I bought the full kit), luckily I've been able to resolve most the issues I've ran into talking to other folks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pics.

We hit to get together soon. Meet me at the dyno?
Once I get a few more things ironed out I might be able to do that. Otherwise let me know if your down in the area, see it in person.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little update to this, I initially had some surging with the normal S256, after going through some troubleshooting ended up trading it in towards an S256et. Everything is good now, Matt was a big help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, Cobalt Maf, spool is great, don't really have any complaints. If you haven't noticed they now have a Redline option for the turbo swap too!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why didn't all the piping fit? Was this intended for a Cobalt and the slight differences in body/charge pipe routing not allow?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why didn't all the piping fit? Was this intended for a Cobalt and the slight differences in body/charge pipe routing not allow?
Yes, before they only had the Cobalt specific kit, doesn't quite work with the Redline lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cobalt piping won't fit a Redline due to the location of the clutch/brake fluid resovoir. On a cobalt it sits lower and further to the side, allowing for the pipe to follow the engine.

ZZP's new Redline piping runs similar to the LNF Injen Hot side piping, diagonally over the valve cover.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you drive this car during the winter Nick?
Yes, just finally put some winter tires on the other set of rims today. About to roll over 160m miles too! Getting sick of filling up so often in the winter, lowered the boost and switched over to 93 last night.

Put on that zzp resonator recently as well, what a cluster **** lol. Something was way off, had to be my downpipe, regardless nothing a little welding couldnt fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts